The primary purpose of this group is to create an open XML specification for genealogical information. The standard will be based on the work of others who have started to create genealogical models and XML standards, including the LDS church with GEDCOM 6.0 XML, Gentech, GenXML, GedML, GeniML, and any others. This standard is to be an open standard, which will be able to be used by genealogical applications to easily create, exchange, provide and analyze this information.
The new standard, tentatively called XGenML:
- Will be a standardized format for the preparation, documentation, exchange and analysis of genealogical information.
- Will be freely licensed, permitting the automatic exchange and reliable extraction of genealogical information across all software formats and technologies, including the Internet.
- Will benefit all users of personal information
- Will improve and speed up access to personal/genealogical information,
- Will reduce duplication of data entry of genealogical information
- Will facilitate access and distribution of genealogical information
- Will allow extensions created by users
- Will be license-free, platform-independent and well-supported
Pursuant to a poll held on the GenealogyXML list, much of the discussion concerning this standard will take place in the open on that list. The detailed work will be discussed on this list.